Last Updated on November 23, 2022
The pursuit of knowledge is a constant thing individuals go after throughout their life. You may have different reasons to learn, but there are countless ways you can learn.
The traditional way of picking up skills or knowledge is going to school or educational institutions to get a formal education. However, this method may not always be practical due to constraints of time and money.
Most people seek alternative methods and study themselves by reading books or watching educational videos on the internet. While others go to purchase online courses from websites such as Udemy.
But are online platforms, especially Udemy Legit? In this article, I’ll try to answer all these questions.
What is Udemy?
Udemy is an online course provider that offers over 130,000 individual courses. Launched in 2010, it is a great platform if you’re interested in a specific skill or subject. The platform today, has over 35 million users learning different skills from over 57,000 expert instructors who’ve managed to produce over 130,00 online courses.
Udemy covers courses in different categories, from business financing to IT software service, photography, you name it, the course will be available on the platform. It arranges the coursework in different modules that comprises of videos, text notes, and much more. The tutorials are accessible in above 65 languages and more than 180 countries. Several enterprises use Udemy to train their employees and staff. The courses are available via on-demand video, and you can watch them as and when you want.
If you want to become a skilled developer or launch your music albums, Udemy has it all.
Best Udemy Courses Reddit 2022
Udemy has a large number of online courses that have you spoiled for choice if you want to acquire different skills. The best courses listed below are based on their reviews, inclusion in at least 100,000 ratings, and the courses are run by top-quality instructors. In short, they are very popular on the platform.
Here are the top 5 courses offered by Udemy in 2022
- 2022 Complete Python Bootcamp: From Zero to Hero in Python – 1484,000 + students.
- Microsoft Excel- Excel From Beginner to Advanced – 952,000+ students.
- Graphic Design Masterclass- Learn Great Design – 143,343 + students.
- Machine Learning A-Z Hands-On Python And R in Data Science – 856,000 + students.
- The Web Developer Bootcamp 2022 – 766,000 +students.
How much do Udemy Courses Cost?
Udemy courses cost anywhere between $100 to $200, but the platform also offers some special prices. You can avail the courses for as low as $10 if you wait for the right time. Unlike other e-learning platforms, Udemy doesn’t offer subscriptions or free trials; you have to pay for an online course each time.
A Udemy course comes with instructional videos that can be viewed on a computer or other devices. Here users have lifetime access to the course they purchased.
The course offered by Udemy comes with some or all of the following:
- A certificate of completion that can be added to your portfolio or resume
- Different types of exercises.
- Downloadable resources.
- Videos with captions in multiple languages.
Does Udemy offer Free Courses?
Udemy offers more than 2000 free courses in topics ranging from introductory game development to basic photography to a quick walkthrough through time management and public speaking classes.
You can browse for free courses and get a quick overview of the topics. Users don’t get access to instructors who can direct them on these courses. Also, the free courses don’t give out certificates on completion of the course. However, the free courses give users a good option to try the courses before committing to a paid course. You can avail these free courses by just signing up for free using your email address.
Is Udemy Legit as per Reddit?
Udemy is a legit online course provider, as per Reddit. This is true, especially in 2022, when individuals make use of phones, laptops, and electronic devices to learn new skills and knowledge. Udemy offers users different online courses across a wide spectrum of fields.
The opinion offered by Redditors can be summarized below:
Pros of Udemy According to Reddit
- High-quality courses that offer excellent value for money
- A wide selection of courses allows users to learn different skills
- Updated content compared to other online learning platforms
- Lifetime access to a course
- The new version of certifications on paid courses
- Experienced instructors with professional insights on different subjects
- 30-day money-back guarantee if you don’t get what you’ve expected with this plan.
- A wide scope of things to learn.
Cons of Udemy According to Reddit
- The changing prices on each course can create inconvenience for customers
- Some bad content that should be filtered with reviews isn’t moved out
- Insufficient printed material
- Dead courses are not replaced or updated to the latest version of things
The general perception of Udemy is good, as per Redditors. Therefore, it is a legit platform if you are planning to use it. If any platform is fishy, Reddit is a platform where you can find out if it’s a scam. On Reddit, if users find any fishy application or platform will get downvoted till it ends up becoming a meme. This is why people look at Reddit as a reliable source to check whether a platform is worth their time and capital.
Some Quotes by Redditors on Udemy
- u/FAKENAME381- “Udemy is definitely legit. I’ve bought 7 courses and I can say the content I’ve learned from them far outweighs any information that is taught in a college”.
- u/MelonOfFury- “Udemy has helped me study and clear my 3 IT certifications that have landed me a good job offer. If you’re seeking to learn a select skill, then check out the community and see all the recommendations offered by Udemy and check reviews of them”.
Ultimate Tips for Selecting Legit Udemy Courses
Reddit is a huge community that has reviews across different posts. While writing this article, I’ve some tips from Reddit if you’re planning to purchase an online course.
- u/GrouchyBulbasaur- “Buy courses that are on sale, and this happens once or twice a month for up to 3 days. The best value can be availed on black Fridays. While selecting the courses, individuals need to understand not all courses are equal. So, check the rating and reviews before selecting one. Most instructors offer 1 to 2 preview lessons you can watch for free”.
- u/shanz13- “I wish I knew about Udemy earlier. I always thought it was expensive and not worth it until I decided to try it. Turned out I’ve learned so much more than videos on YouTube. I know there are some good YT channels, but their content is outdated, surface-level teaching, and only half content is available. Also, check when the course is last updated and its reviews. Good instructors tend to update their courses frequently”.
Online courses have a bad reputation in the market, imploring they are fraud and not up to date. But when it comes to Udemy courses, they have ratings that allow you to decide whether the course is good or bad.
One thing we can understand from Udemy users is that paid courses force users to complete them. Users would leave a free course quickly as they don’t lose anything. With a paid online course, the value for your money makes you want to complete it.
In short, people love Udemy and think it is worth it based on the different courses and their prices.
Udemy vs YouTube
YouTube is a great platform that offers several tutorials that offer valuable insights into different subjects. The information offered on YouTube is completely free and doesn’t require any subscription costs.
The videos on YouTube act as previews on Udemy and, in most cases, are outdated. There is great stuff available on YouTube; however, in some cases, the tutorial is not completed fully. Also, in most cases, the surface-level content is only covered on the platform, leaving you with half-knowledge.
The videos on YouTube are informative and offer a great way to learn at an amateur level. Udemy, on the other hand, is a comprehensive platform that offers a completely updated course to its users.
The Downsides of Udemy
Udemy runs thousands of courses, and in certain cases filtering quality content is difficult. So, you must do proper research before going forward and purchasing a course.
A quote from Reddit
u/Th3MadScientist- “You have to scroll through several courses to find gold, especially for tech courses. Every individual thinks that they can teach a course and charge the same as experienced instructors. Udemy beats most of its competitors by night and day when you compare it both in price and content”.
Furthermore, the certificates after course completion are not accredited and may not add much value to your existing portfolio. Furthermore, instructors create their own courses on this platform, which may impact the overall quality of the course.
Tips for Finding the Best Udemy Courses
How do you find the best Udemy course for you? You don’t have to be an expert if you want to find the best courses; just follow the below-listed steps.
- The most important factor is to check the ratings of the course
- Check the number of students enrolled in a course
- Instructors bio and his voice or style of instruction
- Check the Curriculum
- Quality of sample videos
- Any written reviews
Why Should You Try Udemy?
Udemy has a large number of courses it offers on its platform. The platform has promotional offers and sales every month, and you also have the 30-day money-back guarantee feature. This makes it a reliable and legit platform to invest and learn important skills.
Are Udemy Certificates Useful?
If you’re planning to get a job using Udemy, let us look into whether the certificate given by the platform is useful.
Udemy is not an accredited institution, so you won’t get any formal accreditation with the certificate. However, it is a clear indication that you’ve to spend your valuable time completing a course and learning an important skill. People pay exponential sums to get a certificate to prove their competence.
The certificate from Udemy may not be as strong as a faculty degree but knowledge matters, and you can upload it on your LinkedIn profile or add it to your resume. You need to understand recruiters look for personality and skills that would enhance their company functionality instead of looking at certifications. And this certificate may just help push your claim for the job a little more.
Having said that, homeschooling and covid lockdowns have made the world a different place. Online courses in 2022 are much more appreciated than they were back in early 2020 before the pandemic. So, in simple terms, a Udemy certificate is a very useful commodity, especially in 2022.
The certificate can be downloaded when the curriculum items are completed. The trophy above the course player will change color, and you’ll get a notification indicating the same. The certificate can be easily downloaded into different image formats.
Is Udemy Worth It?
According to Reddit, Udemy is legit and worth the money to learn different courses. If you want to learn new skills without necessarily looking to get a degree from an affiliated institution, then Udemy is a good fit for you. Udemy offers the same quality of the content at a cheaper rate than conventional educational institutions.
Udemy gives students access to updated courses virtually in different subjects. The open marketplace lets anyone teach any skill, which at certain times leads to low-quality content on the platform. However, the courses are very reliable and come with certifications that are accredited on the completion of the course.
Now that you know that Udemy is legit and worth it. Try it out today and hone more skills in your portfolio.
Can I gift a Udemy course?
Yes, since Udemy sells individual courses, gifting a class is very simple. Users have to head over to the course they’re interested in and select the Gift the Course icon, which is present on the top left hand of the screen. Further, fill in the receipt’s email, and you can schedule the gift delivery.
When do Udemy sales happen?
If you’re looking for an Udemy course, and it is priced higher, then don’t worry; there is good news for you. Udemy holds special sales at least once or twice a month. Here the deals offered are usually priced low making it a viable choice for individuals.