Smartwatches are already very popular and now what getting increasingly popular are smartwatches for kids and when we’re getting something for kids there’s a lot that needs to be considered like how safe is the smartwatch, whether they will be able to understand how to use it and even the price of the smartwatch. No, it is not a good idea to get them a high-end smartwatch that will set you back $400 for obvious reasons!
- Should I even get my kid a smartwatch?
- Aren’t smart watches expensive?
- How safe is it to get my kid a smartwatch?
If you’re reading this article you’re probably looking for a smartwatch for your little one and that’s great! No, you don’t have to be buy a $400 Apple Watch for your kid, in fact, there are smartwatches designed specially for kids.
- Newest Features Never Seen Before： This kids smart watch introduced Audiobook, Time Teacher, Sound Teacher, Habit, Camera Sticker, Parental Control, and still include cameras, games, alarm clocks, music,etc. that traditional watches have.
- Stylish, kid-friendly design; secure, splash proof wristband is perfectly sized for kids’ wrists
- Cool, kid-friendly DX3 features dual cameras for photos and videos; watch light is camera flash or flashlight
- 【Multifunctional Kids Fitness Tracker】Multifunctional kids fitness smart watch with 19 sports modes such as pedometer, stopwatch, sleep mode, alarm clock, time display, calorie count, music control, remote camera recording, etc. Such as walking, running, cycling, swimming, etc. Drinking water reminder , alarm clock, call/message reminder, etc. It can display your speed and distance in real time, as well as the amount of exercise for the day.
This is a great comprehensive article to tell you which is the right smartwatch for your kid and end your search. Luckily, there are smartwatches specially designed taking kids into consideration. They are highly interactive features fun activities like games, colored designs and at the same time are durable perfect for offering them a little fun and keeping them occupied and adding peace of mind for the parents.
It is the goal of this article to tell exactly which smartwatches for kids are user-friendly or “kid-friendly” I should say at the same time being useful by the parents ie “trackers”. There’s also the other end of the spectrum where we’ve considered the safety and compatibility of its use with your kid.
Best Smartwatch For Kids & Teenagers Reddit
1. VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX3 – Best Smartwatch For Kids According to Reddit
Most Suitable For: Children ages 4 years to 10 years
Reason to buy: Overall best smartwatch for kids according to reddit with good functionality and tracker integrations.
- Standalone Technology: Does not need to connect to the phone to operate
- Best Interactive learning games making it very kid-friendly
- Ability to take photos and videos with filter options.
- Chunky size minimizes choking hazard to a minimum
The VTech Kidizoom Plus is the bottom line the best smartwatch for young kids. A 5-year-old kid may not find a $400 Apple smartwatch useful but he sure will have a lot to do with this one.
- Learning Interactive games: The ‘Fun Time Master’ helps little children to learn to tell the time through fun learning games. This is just one of the many interactive games the Vtech Kidizoom comes which. Another interactive game is the Monster Detector which allows your kid to find and capture monsters in the real world!
- Child Proof Materials: The build of this smartwatch is light and Chunky sized which results in a minimal choking hazard. Also, the strap has been designed to be childproof. So you can rest assured your kid will easily be able to use this smartwatch. The Kidizoom SmartWatch DX 3 is also available in Cerise, Green, and Blue. This wide range of color will ensure your kid finds a smartwatch in his most favorite color.
- Photos and videos: Kids LOVE taking a tone of photos at a time which is why this smartwatch can hold up to 1600 photos which can also be saved as watch face on its dual camera. There’s even a Silly Me App for funky filters and edits of photos.
- Educational Games
- Fun Cameras
- Childproof Material
- Splash proof
- No GPS / Tracking
We honestly didn’t think there was the smartwatch for kids but the VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX3 is probably the only smartwatch your kid will not find boring and absolutely love using. If you’re looking for a smartwatch for your kid think no more and just get this you cannot go wrong!
2. Garmin VivoFit Jr 2 – Best Smartwatch For Kids With an Activity Tracker
Most Suitable For: Children ages 4 years and up
Reason to buy: The best fitness smartwatch for kids with excellent smart and cross-integration.
- Best fitness and health personalized trackers
- Best smart device integration
- Swim friendly body
- Disney, Star Wars, Avengers custom designs for young fanatics
- educational mobile games and activities
The Garmin VívoFit jr. 2 is designed to be the more sporty smartwatch for kids basically a new fitness tracker for kids after being one of the fastest-selling smartwatches for kids. However, don’t think of this as a fitness tracker. The smart integration is where the money is at. It’s hands down got the best smart integration on the market with kid-friendly features like rewards for tasks, family challenges through a leaderboard and much much more.
Garmin decided to come out with a second-generation version smartwatch for kids which is basically the same no surprise there as there was nothing wrong with the first one. However, what’s different in the second generation is the toe-to-toe challenges allowing kids to challenge other kids and family members for activities fitness related. The first thing you will notice the huge brand Garmin behind this product which is a quality mark in itself.
We love the branding unique to Avengers, Batman, Disney, and even Star Wars which are a love of every child nowadays. We think this is a good smartwatch if you want your kid to stay active and also want a way to track it to your smartphone. Although maybe an overkill.
Sports fitness trackers: With the Garmin vívofit jr. 2 your kid can learn and get the hang of fitness trackers right from a young age. If you are a health-conscious parent this is great because you can also track your child’s health through smartphone integration.
It comes with a super-easy for kids app where everything is displayed clearly. Parents can also track their children’s’ activity via the Garmin smartphone app.
Smartphone App Integration: Apart from being a good fitness tracker the Gramin has an excellent smartphone integration. Parents can set up chores around the house and the Vivofit Jr 2 will automatically alert your child when they need to complete them and the reward they will receive in return.
Cross integration: Apart from fitness trackers Gramin has a Family Leadership Board in which every family member that has a Gramin can challenge each other with records tracked on the leaderboard! Nothing beats a friendly family competition!
Simplicity: The design is light and extremely simply which make it easy to use wherever they go! More importantly, if your kid is into sports like swimming a sleek simple waterproof watch is a good option for him. Simplicity something of immense importance for a kid trying to figure out how wearables work.
You won’t be overwhelming your child with something too complex as the Garmin is a simple silicon watch that can easily be put on the arm. It has just enough functionality to work just how it should without overcomplicating things.
Drawbacks but not dealbreakers
We didn’t like the small screen size of this watch which could strain your kid’s eyes. However, if you are conscious about your kid spending too much time on digital things but still have some interesting this is perfect! More importantly, if your kid is old enough to have a smartphone he would not need a big screen smartwatch! The Garmin has good integrations with a smartphone to be a very good extension to it.
- Activity tracker
- Really Long Battery Life
- Splash proof & waterproof
- Unique Designs
- No GPS
- Tiny Thin Screen
Is the Garmin Vivofit Jr 2 device perfect? Nope But it incentivizes very good habits, has the best fitness trackers to keep them active and fit. And it also has the best smart integration which is only getting better. It may have a small screen but functionality is something the Garmin has nailed with this watch. You don’t need a flashy big watch for your kid what you need is a fun smartwatch that will make them more fit and ‘gamify’ their good habits.
3. TickTalk 4 – Best Kids SmartWatch With GPS
Most Suitable For: Children ages 5 to 12
- STAY CONNECTED: With video calling, voice calling, Wi-Fi calling, Talk-To-Text and preset text responses, voice messages, photos, emojis, and GIFs, your child never runs out of ways to stay connected with their favorite people.
- STAY SAFE: With accurate GPS location tracking, emergency SOS, and 20+ parental controls, TickTalk 4 is a great gift for boys and girls between the ages of 5-12 years old. Parents can also approve all watch contacts, block unknown numbers, and more in our parental control app.
- STAY EXPRESSIVE: With 2x 5-megapixel cameras with photo and video, share double the selfies and snapshots. Choose between individual and group messages and chats to send Talk-To-Text messages, preset responses, GIFs, emojis, and voice recordings in our Secure Messaging Center.
- STAY ON TASK: Set daily step goals with our Activity Tracker to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Keep your child focused with Reminders and Do Not Disturb Class Mode to build better habits at an early age.
- STAY ON BEAT: The first kid’s smartwatch phone to offer free, unlimited streaming music powered by iHeartRadio Family. Access thousands of the most popular kid-friendly songs, podcasts, stories at no extra cost.
4. SPACETALK Adventurer – Best Kids Smartwatch For Video Calling
Most Suitable For: Children Ages 5 to 12
- SEE YOUR CHILD’S ACTIVITIES & CONTACTS: Combining the easy to use Spacetalk app with technology you as a parent are already familiar with, set limits for your kids without actively monitoring them. Always know their location, manage who they can talk to, and send & receive text messages. The SOS feature on you kids cell phone watch gives you & your child peace of mind that with one swipe they can contact you. It even has a fitness activity tracker and School Mode for distraction free learning
- KNOW THEIR LOCATION/TEACH THEM RESPONSIBILITY: Powered by Google Maps and an accurate on demand GPS locator you instantly know your kid’s location and can set alerts to be notified if they leave a predefined Safe Zone, aka geofencing. It helps teach them responsibility by allowing you to set departure and arrival times to school or a friend’s house while notifying you if they do not depart or arrive by the scheduled time
- KEEP YOUR CHILD SAFELY CONNECTED: Using the 4G technology of AT&T, T-Mobile and other virtual mobile operators (does not work with Verizon, Sprint or Speedtalk), your child can make and receive video calls, voice calls, text, and chat messages but ONLY to and from safe contacts defined by you. And because there no open internet your child cannot access any Social Media sites. This kids smart watch with gps tracker and calling is smarter than a smartphone and better than a smart watch
- KID TOUGH AND KID FUN: With Gorilla Glass touchscreen, IP67 water resistance, and a durable wrist band the Spacetalk Adventurer kids phone watch for children aged 5 – 12 years is built with durability in mind, but we built it for fun too. Its powerful battery lasts up to 36 hours depending on the use and allows for HD video calling and video messaging with your predefined contacts and picture taking that can be easily shared but only with people on the safe list
- THE REWARDS, EXTRAS: Give your child “REWARD STARS” via the app when they go beyond your expectations but also set “REMINDERS” to gently nudge them when necessary. New wellness feature has everything you need to monitor your child’s physical and emotional wellbeing. App can be used simultaneously by mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, or your child’s caregiver.
5. Apple Watch SE – Best Smartwatch For Teenagers According To Reddit
What Reddit Thinks About This Watch:
u/PlatinumRenegade – I have the SE and I’m loving it so far. It’s my first time having a smart watch and I’m loving every second of it
u/d4vros – I love my SE. I would’ve turned off the always-on display anyway, so there’s really no other reason for me to buy a different watch, especially one that’s way more expensive
u/sleepywhiskey – As someone who was on the fence about smart watches for years, it was a pleasant experience with the Apple Watch SE thus far. I hardly go anywhere without it! I was comparing it with I think the 6, but I settled for SE because:
1. I don’t need an always on display
2. Don’t need the blood monitoring thingy
3. ITS VALUE FOR MONEY!
I know a lot of people love the AOD but personally, I don’t dig it because I have this crazy theory that it drains your battery faster.
Most Suitable For: Ages from 13 onwards
- WHY APPLE WATCH SE — All the essentials to help you monitor your fitness, keep connected, track your health, and stay safe. Now up to 20 percent faster, with features like Crash Detection and enhanced workout metrics, it’s a better value than ever.
- EASILY CUSTOMIZABLE — Available in a range of sizes and colors, with dozens of bands to choose from and watch faces with complications tailored to whatever you’re into.
- HEALTH AND SAFETY FEATURES — Get help when you need it with Crash Detection, Fall Detection, and Emergency SOS. Get deep insights into your health, including notifications if you have an irregular rhythm or an unusually high or low heart rate.
- SIMPLY COMPATIBLE — It works seamlessly with your Apple devices and services. Unlock your Mac automatically. Find your devices with a tap. Pay and send money with Apple Pay. Apple Watch requires an iPhone 8 or later with the latest iOS version.
- SWIMPROOF AND STYLISH — Water resistant to 50 meters. Three finishes. And a redesigned, color-matched back case made with a new production process that reduces its carbon emissions over 80 percent.
- APPS ON YOUR WRIST — With access to tens of thousands of apps on the App Store right on your wrist, Apple Watch is the perfect personal device for whatever you love to do.
- A POWERFUL FITNESS PARTNER — The enhanced Workout app gives you new ways to train and advanced metrics for more information about your workout performance. And Apple Watch comes with three months of Apple Fitness+ free.
- STAY CONNECTED — Send a text, make a call, listen to music and podcasts, use Siri, or call for help with Emergency SOS. Apple Watch SE (GPS) works with your iPhone or Wi-Fi to keep you connected.
- APPLECARE — Every Apple Watch comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. Get AppleCare+ to extend your coverage and reduce the stress and cost of unexpected repairs.
6. Fitbit Ace 3 – Cheap Activity Tracker Kids
- Kids spend less time charging and more time moving with up to 8 days of battery
- Animated clock faces grow and develop as kids move more throughout the day
- All-day activity tracking shows how healthy habits add up to a healthier life
- Help kids form healthy sleep habits with sleep tracking, bedtime reminders and silent alarms
- Bring on the pool party cannonballs or lunchtime spills—Fitbit Ace 3 is water resistant to 50 meters
- Kids earn virtual badges and fun on-screen celebrations when they reach their goals
- A family account lets parents manage kid’s Ace 3 and their own watch or tracker from one easy place
7. Little Tikes Tobi 2 – Best Kids Smartwatch With Games
- LEVEL UP YOUR KID’S SMARTWATCH – Play games head-to-head against other Tobi 2 Robot Smartwatches, experience advanced graphics, and take photos with a motion-activated selfie-camera. Stand out with a cool wristband and LED lights that illuminate the cool, clear housing.
- INTERACTIVE ROBOT – Tobi 2 Robot Smartwatch is full of personality, speaks gibberish, giggles, and cycles through more than 100 expressions. Features a calculator, stopwatch, timer, alarm clock, calendar, reminders, and more than 50 watch faces.
- AWESOME GAMES – Contains a variety of brain, arcade, and fitness games to keep kids entertained, moving, and learning. Earn rewards to unlock additional features for even more play.
- PHOTOS AND VIDEOS – Tobi 2 Robot Smartwatch has two built-in cameras that can film videos and take selfies. Customize photos with decorative stickers and borders while editing. Store up to 3,000 640 x 480 pixels photos or 30 minutes of 320 x 240 pixels video.
- TRACK STEPS – Keep kids moving with the built-in pedometer, dance activity game, and augmented reality Walk n’ Wonder game.
- PARENTAL CONTROLS – Set limits on screen time and approve wireless connectivity connections.
- EASY TO USE – The splashproof Tobi 2 Robot Smartwatch features a kid-friendly touchscreen, an adjustable wristband, a built-in rechargeable battery, and a micro-USB cable for charging as well as transferring photos and videos to a computer.
- Ages 6+ Years
Are Kids Smartwatches Worth it?
After the introduction of smartwatches back in 2015 there have been major advancements in how we use them, how they look and now smartwatches not just for adults but also for kids. It has moved from a luxury consumer electronic device to a basic staple of life. The smartwatch has moved it to the next level. There was a time when all you needed a watch for was to tell you the time. However now after major advancements, smartwatches are being made for kids.
There is now even a range of models that offer games, learning development and tracker/GPS integrations. A smartwatch for kids is less powerful and affordable wearables. Moreover Unlike a regular smartwatch costing over 400$ these smartwatches for kids are much cheaper.
Best Smartwatch For Kids Buyer’s Guide
A smartwatch for kids isn’t going to be an ordinary purchase you will just pick up the shelf of the supermarket. More importantly, kids will be kids meaning us parents would need to do all the rational thinking of making sure the smartwatch we get them is safe and easy to use. Smartwatches for kids are relatively cheaper than an average smartwatch but they’re still not that cheap also being a new technology us adults barely understand it is important to consider the functionality from a kids perspective so that they are actually able to use it well and also from a parent’s perspective so that the parents benefit from giving their kids a smartwatch. This is why we’ve made a whole separate section toward knowing what to look for whilst getting a smartwatch for your kid!
This will educate you to make the most rational decision when getting your kid a smartwatch. You will also know what to look for in a smartwatch for your kid just in case you do not like our list of best smartwatches for your kid. Our goal is not to sell you a smartwatch but to educate you as to what is the mindset you need to have when getting your kid a smartwatch.
Functionality: Now when I say functionality it is relative to age. I am not talking about 4G LTE cellular functionality but a more conventional “kid-friendly” functionality. How easy or complex is the smartwatch? Will your kid be able to understand the basic functionality of his smartwatch or will it be an overkill? You don’t want to get your kid something he will not be able to understand, do you?
Fitness Tracker: This isn’t something your kid will want but something that will be important for them. A good fitness tracker like Garmin is the best on the marketing for tracking your kid’s fitness and keeping them inactive shape.
Age of your kid: Depending on the age of your kid a smartwatch may seem too kiddish or too complex. You need to make that decision based on the maturity of your kid. If your kid is young don’t get him something complex he won’t understand or something he will lose. If your kid is older and more mature don’t get him something too “kids”. It is important to find that right balance or you will end up overwhelming or underwhelming your kid.
Smart Integration: A smartwatch for kids is not simply a gimmick it is a tool for parents to keep a track of their kids through live updates as to where they are through GPS integration and also for them to contact you at times of distress through an SOS signal. For this reason, It is important for your kid’s smartwatch to have a good smartphone integration
Choking hazard: For younger kids, it is important to beware of the make of the smartwatch. How big are the materials, what are they made of? What are the choking hazards that come with it? It is immensely important to consider and can provide to be fatal if not given a fair amount of thought.
Now that you know what to consider whilst getting a smartwatch for your kid, let’s move on ahead towards the top smartwatches for your kid. Remember There is no top smartwatch only the right pick for your kid.
Best Smartwatch For Kids Verdict
We hope you found this article on the top best smartwatches for kids 2023 helpful. Remember there is no best smartwatch there is only the right one for your kid. Some smartwatches are better than the other for different purposes. More importantly, it is important to consider that your kid will be using this so it’s important to know whether it is a compatible option for them. If you haven’t read this article throughout we recommend you do so before you make that decision of buying your kid a smartwatch.
Apple Watch Alternatives Reddit
Last update on 2023-05-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Leave a Reply