One size has never fit everyone. The preferences come in different varieties. It applies to any gadget as much as it does to a smartwatch. Be it a tablet, a phone or a watch, the smarter it turns quicker the energy gets drained. The challenge is to improve battery capacity as features get added and finding the best smartwatch with long battery life.
It would be easy to charge your smartwatch and not bother about it for a few days. It doesn’t work like that as the smart features usually exhaust the charge much sooner when invoked. Optimising its usage becomes impertinent to get the best out of the battery.
When the market gets flooded with products, the onus is on the consumer to choose the right one. Sorting preferences and mapping requirements with budget constraints is not going to be easy. A shortlist with some cost-benefit analysis will make this task easier. This article intends to do so.
How To Find The Smartwatch with Longest Battery Life?
Smartwatches come in two types, either as a complete smartwatch or as a hybrid one. The hybrid is a classic/analogue timepiece with smart features. By design, the hybrid ones are prone to have a better battery life compared to the other ones.
For this analysis the battery life is prioritized over other features. Then compatibility and aesthetics is weighed in to narrow down and find the best smartwatch with a good battery life within a price range. It is neither fair to compare smartwatches across price levels nor ignore the basic ones completely.
Best Smartwatch with Longest Battery Life Reddit
1. Garmin Vivoactive 4 Music – Best Smartwatch With Long Battery Life
Battery Life: Up to 8 days in smartwatch mode; Up to 6 hours in GPS and music mode
Reason to buy: You want only the best smartwatch not only for everyday use but also for the sport that is made of highly durable materials.
The Garmin Vivoactive 4 Music is the phone-free or standalone sports watch that its predecessor the Vivoactive 4 always wanted to become. Moreover, it’s not only that but also the perfect balance that the Vivoactive 4 has between sports and everyday use making this the best smartwatch Garmin’s ever made! The Vivoactive 4 Music is a great balance of sports and smartwatches.
If you’ve used a Garmin product you probably already know this product is going to be sick in fact the Garmin Vivoactive 4 Music should pretty much explain itself. It is the latest sports smartwatch from the fitness giant that takes the infamous Vivoactive 4 we know and love and bestows on it the gift of music. The Vivoactive 4 music lets you play your tunes from your watch instead of your phone by combining best a sports smartwatch with features for everyday use.
Waterproof rating: 5 ATM (50m)
Pool and open water swim tracking: Pool only
Waterproof details and its usability in water
Till now Garmin has made sure pretty much most of its trackers can be taken and used in a pool. The fitness trackers Vivosport and Vivofit 4 already bring 5ATM to the table so this is not something new for the Garmin. With the Garmin Vivoactive 34 being waterproof up to 5ATM you can take it swimming with you at up to 50 meters depth so think pools or shallow snorkeling. This also means you can wear it in the shower YAY!
The Garmin Vivoactive 4 music has a dedicated swimming screen called the Garmin Connect, which collects real-time data of distance, time, stroke, SWOLF, temperature, pace, speed and more. Also, the Chroma Display ensures you can view your real-time swim data whilst under the water (how cool is that). Currently, there is no support for open water swim tracking but you can get this with the more expensive Garmin devices. If you spend most of your time in the pool, then the Garmin Vivoactive 4 music is a good fit for you.
Design and looks
On looks at least, the Vivoactive 4 was a major upgrade to what Garmin had come up with before it. Garmin morphed from the unsightly bulky rectangle into a beautiful circular watch face. The change between something like that and the Music is not a lot but still, it is very much an improvement to be noted. The Garmin Vivoactive 4 Music actually only comes in black, but this time Garmin’s upgraded its glass by going for a chemically strengthened glass finish that is much more glossier and much better than the former metallic look of the Vivoactive 3’s. We were very quickly collecting scratches on the metallic ring around the former Vivoactive 4’s face, but so far the Music has remained scratch and scuff free! This is all thanks to the strengthened glass finish.
Interface and usability
As we already mentioned earlier, the Vivoactive 4 Music has pretty much all of the same sports tracking features as the Vivoactive 4. However, the Vivoactive 4 Music also works as an everyday smartwatch with support for notifications, infamous Garmin Pay and a few other “smart features”. Garmin is now venturing into the wearable market with this device after pretty much dominating the sports space. Although the Notifications still a work in progress they aren’t handled as nicely as they are on the Apple Watch Series. You still can send quick replies if you’re on an Android (sorry but no iPhone for now)Also using the Garmin’s nifty cut-out responses you can pretty much use it as a smartphone on the go.
Music, Music, and Music
So finally let’s talk music. Garmin’s put aside enough space for close to 500 songs, which can either be uploaded as files directly from a computer using proprietary software i.e Garmin Express program or simply synced from one of the music services Garmin’s partnered with. At the moment this list is solely comprised of iHeartRadio in the US and UK, but soon another music giant Deezer will soon start supporting it.
Sports and fitness tracking
As you may already know Garmin is currently leading the sports wearable space this is as a result of years of dedication towards pushing the boundaries in this niche. To no surprise the Garmin Vivoactive 4 Music is the best sports watch on the market right now. The Vivoactive 4 is essentially a GPS sports watch that comes preloaded with a whole multitude of workouts that include running, biking bot indoor and outdoor, swimming, rowing, skiing, golf, yoga and a bunch of gym activities. The best part is you can now also create custom workouts by taking making custom lists. You also have the ability to tweak data screens and alerts as per your workout!
Now although Garmin says you should get a cool 8 days of battery life if you use it in “smartwatch mode” which basically is not powering the GPS or sports modes that’s simply not possible because these are the two features you probably are buying it for.
2. Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 – Best Android Smartwatch With Long Battery Life
Reason to buy: You are tight on the budget but still want that standalone 4G LTE Experience at good performance and aren’t really going to use it more than for making or receiving calls.
Strong Performance with long battery life
The Samsung Galaxy watch 5 comes with a dual-core processor making it super responsive. You’ll be able to comfortably navigate through apps and make calls without any lag on this smartwatch.
Bad App Support: We have to admit the app support isn’t that great meaning you won’t get as many apps as compared to the apple watch 8. However, if you are planning to use your smartwatch more for the convenience of receiving and making calls then the frontier is definitely a smart buy.
3. Ticwatch Pro 3 – Smartwatch With Longest Battery Life
Reason to buy: Now let’s bring a brand that you might have never heard about. Mobvoi is relatively a new company when compared with the remaining options on this list. And guess what? This also happens to be the cheapest option on this list. So is that the only reason that you must purchase it? Read the reasons why we consider this as a good option:
- With TicWatch Pro 3, you get most of the features of Wear OS at the cheapest cost possible.
- Long Battery Life: Dual layers display 2.0 technology keeps Ticwatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS smartwatch going up to 72 hours in Smart Mode and 45 days in Essential mode. The new customizable backlight offers you better visual enjoyment, makes the screen comfortable to read under any conditions, especially in the dark.
- The TicWatch Pro 3 is sturdily built and can be used for swimming where you get stroke analysis and suggestions to improve form!
- Updated Chipset, Better Experience: Wear OS by Google Ticwatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS smartwatch with the Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 4100 Platform and Mobvoi Dual Processor System. Deliver faster and smoother performance and connectivity. 1G RAM and 8G ROM Memory. NFC payment supports Google Pay.
- Advanced Health and Fitness Monitoring: TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS keeps track of your real-time fitness and health data. IP68 waterproof and pool swimming suitable, upgraded 100+ professional sports modes, with built-in GPS, speaker and microphone, barometer and sleep tracking, blood Oxygen Saturation, stress Monitoring and 24-hour heart rate monitoring (empowered by a more accurate sensor ). New functions are added including IHB/AFib Detection and Fatigue Assessment etc.
- New Fatigue Assessment: Assess mental fatigue and track your daily energy levels. Note: This feature is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition or for any other medical purpose.
- Upgraded Premium Design, Flagship Model: Stylish and functional design with knurled stainless-steel bezel, 1.4-inch AMOLED Screen (454*454 high-resolution) with auto-adjustable brightness, Corning Gorilla Anti-fingerprint Cover Glass. Dual Display with Customized Colorful Backlight. US Military Standard 810G certified durability. You can customize the information shown on the watchfaces, such as weather/heart rate/steps, and choose the pattern style you like.
4. Blackview Smart Watch – Cheap Smartwatch With Long Battery Life
Blackview smartwatch uses a 1.3-inch TFT-LCD colour full touch screen with four different dial styles. It also comes with heart rate monitoring system, sleep tracking system, calorie tracker and distance calculator.
This watch comes with a claim of battery life up to 10 days and a standby time of 30-45 days. It is always safe to be conservative while assuming application usage.
- A total of 9 modes of operation in the fitness tracker
- Notification for calls, text and other applications compatible with iOS/Android phones.
- IP68 Waterproof rating
- 5 hours charging time
5. Fitbit Versa 3
What Reddit thinks about this smartwatch:
u/HowardTaftMD – I’ve really enjoyed my versa 3. It’s a poor man’s apple watch I guess. Doesn’t do as much but I’m fine with that. I like it for the general health tracking, the alarm is solid in the morning, the timers are great while cooking. I mostly use WhatsApp and you can see WhatsApp messages on it. It feels nice and kind of swanky.
I think for the money it’s worth it, if you find it on sale definitely worth it.
u/billymumfreydownfall – I have a Versa 3 and love it. I find the heart rate sensor to be accurate, love all the features.
The Fitbit versa 3 makes a great buy in this price range. It Comes with Alexa, which makes setting alarms, controlling smart home devices easier with voice controls.
It also boasts a 6+ days battery life which does vary with the extent of usage of features, but impressive for a smartwatch. This Fitbit tracks heart rate, steps, distance, calories burned and other activities throughout the day.
- Inbuilt Alexa
- Sleep score to understand and manage your sleep
- Control your Spotify app, download Pandora stations and add Deezer playlists
- The larger display and 6.1m syncing range
- Receive a Daily Readiness Score: that reveals if you’re ready to exercise or should focus on recovery (requires Fitbit Premium membership. Premium content recommendations are not available in all locales and may be in English only)
- Run, bike, hike and more phone-free—and see your real-time pace & distance—with built-in GPS. Then check out your workout intensity map in the Fitbit app
- Active Zone Minutes uses your resting heart rate to gauge exercise effort and gives you a buzz when you step up the intensity so you can make the most of your workouts. Fitbit Versa 3 is water resistant to 50 meters
- Better track heart rate 24/7 with PurePulse 2.0, Fitbit’s enhanced heart rate technology
- Use Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa Built-in to get quick news, set bedtime reminders and alarms, control your smart home devices and more just by speaking to your watch
- 6-month Fitbit Premium trial for new Premium users
6. Huawei Watch GT Pro 2 – Long-lasting Standalone SmartWatch
If you want a standalone smartwatch which will last you a long time. It’s also got a watch mode to extend that already long battery life even further, talk about overkill. The performance is impressive with a dual processor and 768 MB ram allowing you to easily use the app without any lag.
7. Fossil Gen 6
A classy looking smartwatch with a stainless steel build offers a wide array of features. It is a value for money product. This fossil gen 6 comes with upgraded storage compared to its previous model. It offers 8 Gb of storage and 1Gb RAM capacity which allows download and usage of third party applications. It is powered by Wear OS (Google) which offers seamless operation with iOS and Android phones.
The watch comes with a multi-purpose heart rate, activity tracker powered by Google fit and an untethered GPS tracking system. It uses Bluetooth to alert and notify calls, text received in your phone. While accessing the special features will drain your battery, this watch enables you to extend the battery for multiple days with smart energy modes. It also comes with a magnetic USB rapid charger which replenishes 80% of charge within an hour.
- Swim proof touchscreen (3ATM)
- Make payments with Google pay
- Google assistant works with voice commands through microphone and speakers
8. Withings Steel HR Hybrid Smartwatch
This hybrid watch stands out in offering an array of features and boasting a 25 days battery life with heart rate monitoring. It also comes with a workout mode to automatically track different activities. The strava integration equips your watch to track your location and session with distance, elevation and speed.
It comes with an Italian leather wristband that gives a classic look. Be it swimming in a pool or snorkelling in an ocean, sport your look. This watch offers water resistance.
- Water-resistant up to 50 meters
- Sleep score with an analysis of the different depth of sleep
- Silent alarm and smart wake up option
- Alexa compatible health mate application
While the list above is not exhaustive, it is a result of scrutiny with a defined set of parameters. As it always comes with people, the preferences and priorities are variables. It is up to oneself either to choose the best fit from the available options or to look beyond if deemed necessary.
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API