We know Public Wi-Fi isn’t a reliable way to stay connected while you are on the road. Weak signal, slow speeds, and dire hotel networks can make getting online an ordeal while traveling.
For most of us, being deprived of the internet whilst on the road is little more than an annoyance we need it for business and leisure. Think about the can problems it will cause if you rely on the internet to make a living!
Fortunately, there is a solution to get reliable internet even when you are traveling and it’s an Unlocked MiFi 4G LTE Device.
We’ve broken up this article into distinct sections to allow for better readability.
Best Mifi Device 2019
- What’s an unlocked MiFi Device?
- Why do you need an Unlocked MiFi Device
- Best MiFi Devices 2019 Picks:
- Verizon Jetpack AC791L – Best overall
- ZTE Velocity MF923 – Good buy
- Huawei E5330BS – Best on budget
What’s an unlocked MiFi Device?
A MiFi device is typically a small gadget that lets you connect to a local cell network in whatever country you’re in. It shares its data connection over a private Wi-fi network, so you connect all your other devices to the Internet through it.
Many companies rent or sell portable hotspots just like these typically at a high daily cost for international use. Similarly like the smartphones, you can also buy unlocked mobile wifi hotspots.
An unlocked mobile hotspot basically lets you use a local SIM card wherever you are to take advantage of the cheap data rates as if you were using their network. Moreover, it lets you connect to 4G LTE internet whilst traveling at local rates.
Nowadays, most of us cannot afford to be away from a steady internet connection for too long. An average person uses apps to shop, stay in touch with family (Skype being a prime example), respond to emails, and a variety of other important tasks.
This is even more critical for those who work in a corporate environment, where staying in touch through conference calls or video calls is absolutely essential.
Why Do You Need A MiFi Device?
Now, for many areas, the Internet reception on your phone is good enough to see you through most trips. But, there are still a number of areas where the reception is poor. Likewise, many hotels still do not bother to invest in good WiFi. This can leave you cut off from internet access for long periods.
Thankfully, there is a way to get around these problems, and it is through the use of mobile hotspots. Mobile hotspots (or MiFi devices as they are often called) connect to a network in your area. You can then use these devices to give you reliable internet access in areas that typically might not have great WiFi.
Mifi devices vary in quality and can be difficult to determine which one is right for you. To make your life easier, we have reviewed many of the top Mifi devices on the market. Below you will read our honest opinions on each device that we reviewed.
Best MiFi Devices 2019 Picks:
Verizon Jetpack AC791L – Check Price
Reason to buy: You want something that will give you reliable internet and will also lat you throughout the longest periods (think 15-hour workdays). It also has a USB-A port charger that you can use to charge your phone/table with
|Pros of Verizon Jetpack AC791L:||Cons of Verizon Jetpack AC791L:|
ZTE Velocity MF923 – Check Price
Reason to buy: You want a strong performing router at a reasonable price. AT&T subscribers get reasonable pricing packs.
|Pros of ZTE Velocity MF923:||Cons of ZTE Velocity MF923:|
Huawei E5330BS – Check Price
Reason to buy: You are on a budget and want something that will give you decent 3G speeds at extremely reasonable prices. It is also the smallest and most compact unlocked MiFi device by Huawei
Pros of Huawei E5330BS:
- Compared to the two other MiFi devices we have looked at in this post, the Huawei doesn’t really stack up all that well, except in two areas. The first area is the price. The main draw of the Huawei is its price tag. You can easily find this MiFi device for prices as low as $50. If you are operating on a strict budget and you cannot make room in it for any other mobile hotspots, then the Huawei is a great option.
- Another area where the Huawei stacks up well is in size and weight. Of the various MiFi devices that we have reviewed in this article, the Huawei is by far the smallest and most compact. In our opinion, this is one of the best options if you are constantly on the move; you will not even notice that it is in your pocket.
- Given the price point, it does give you decent speeds. We found that when it connected to a 3G network, it gave us a reasonably fast download speed. Certainly, it is good enough for what many people will be using it for (shopping, social media, and general browsing).
Cons of Huawei E5330BS:
- The Huawei’s North American coverage is spotty at best. While this is a great choice for when you go on vacation to Europe or Asia, if you plan on staying exclusively in North America, you will be disappointed with it.
- Sadly, it is not 4G or LTE compatible, meaning it is outclassed in terms of internet speed by most other mobile hotspots in the market. It also means that it is not a good choice if you need it for things like streaming or conducting video calls.
- While it is understandable given its size, we were still a bit disappointed with its very short battery life. At best, you will get around 5 hours of use out of the hotspot before it needs to be recharged. This is pretty bad when you compare it to certain other MiFi devices, which have upwards of 15 hours of battery life.
The MiFi device you should end up getting depends on your personal preferences.
- If you value all-around performance, then the Verizon Jetpack is for you.
- If you like simplicity while still maintaining performance, then go for the ZTE Velocity.
- Finally, if you value saving money, then go for the Huawei.
We have done our best to outline the relative pros and cons of each device so that you can make an informed purchase that fits your wants and needs perfectly.