With the rise of esports and gaming as a mainstream hobby, the demand for high-performance and immersive gaming monitors has never been higher. And let’s be real, who doesn’t want to feel like they’re in the game, experiencing every explosion, every action, every detail in stunning 4K resolution?
That’s why we have scoured the market and handpicked the best of the best, the top-performing and feature-packed gaming monitors of 2023. From Asus to Alienware, these gaming giants are loaded with features to give you an edge over your competition and a visual feast for the eyes. It’s time to upgrade your setup and join the future of gaming.
What To Look For In The Perfect Gaming Monitor?
The recipe for the perfect gaming monitor will vary depending on the individual’s preferences and needs, but generally, a gamer would look for the following features:
- High resolution: A high resolution will allow for more crisp and clear images, which is especially important for fast-paced games.
- Fast refresh rate: A fast refresh rate (120Hz or higher) will ensure that the images on the screen are updated quickly, resulting in smoother gameplay.
- Low input lag: Input lag is the amount of time it takes for the monitor to display the input from the computer or console. A low input lag will ensure that the player’s actions are displayed in real-time.
- Adaptive sync: Adaptive sync technology, such as G-Sync or FreeSync, helps to reduce screen tearing and stuttering.
- Wide viewing angle: A wide viewing angle will ensure that the image is visible from different positions in the room.
- Good color reproduction: Good color reproduction is important for accurate representation of the game’s colors, and a wide color gamut will ensure that the monitor can display a wide range of colors.
- Adjustable stand: Adjustable stand will give users the ability to adjust the monitor to their preferred height and angle for maximum comfort during long gaming sessions.
- Multiple Ports: Having multiple ports such as HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB ports will allow for multiple devices to be connected to the monitor, making it more versatile.
Advice From A Gamer: Why You Need What
As a gamer, let me tell you, having a top-of-the-line gaming monitor can take your gaming experience to the next level. It’s like upgrading from a bicycle to a sports car. Everything just runs smoother and looks better.
First of all, a high resolution display can make all the difference in the world. With a higher resolution, you’ll be able to see more detail in your games, making them look more realistic and immersive. This is especially important for fast-paced games where split-second decisions can mean the difference between winning and losing.
Another key feature to look for in a gaming monitor is a fast refresh rate. A high refresh rate means that the images on the screen are updated more frequently, resulting in smoother gameplay. This is especially important for first-person shooters and racing games where every frame counts.
Low input lag is also a must-have feature for serious gamers. Input lag is the amount of time it takes for the monitor to display the input from the computer or console. A low input lag means that your actions will be displayed on the screen in real-time, giving you a competitive edge in fast-paced games.
Adaptive sync technology like G-Sync or FreeSync can also greatly enhance the gaming experience. It helps to reduce screen tearing and stuttering, making the gameplay more smooth and enjoyable.
A wide viewing angle is also important for gaming, especially if you’re planning on sharing your screen with friends or playing in a group setting. A wide viewing angle ensures that the image is visible from different positions in the room, so everyone can enjoy the game.
Good color reproduction is also important for accurate representation of the game’s colors, and having a monitor with a wide color gamut will ensure that you can see the full range of colors in the game.
An adjustable stand is also a must-have, as it allows you to adjust the monitor to your preferred height and angle for maximum comfort during long gaming sessions.
Finally, having multiple ports such as HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB ports will allow for multiple devices to be connected to the monitor, making it more versatile.
Best Gaming Monitors Reddit
1. Asus Rog Swift PG27UQ – Best 4K Gaming Monitor
- Max display resolution: 3840×2160 pixels
- Screen size: 27-inch
- Display type: LED
- Panel type: IPS
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Response time: 4ms
- Refresh rate: 144Hz
- Weight: 28lbs
This monitor is considered a top-of-the-line option for gaming rebels, with its 4K UHD resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) and a fast 144Hz refresh rate that can be overclocked to 160Hz. Best 4K for mid- and high-powered gaming PCs.
The PG27UQ also supports Display HDR 1000, meaning it can display the amplest range of colors and brightness levels – a feast for the eyes. On top of that, it rolls out Asus Eye Care technology to reduce blue light and chop-off flicker, reducing eye strain during boundless gaming spans.
Argue against the wide Quad HD display – the perfect black and sleek design. A flexible ergonomic stand to adjust the monitor tilt, swivel, pivot, and height for a comfortable viewing experience. Its thick bezels might be a problem setting up multiple monitors for some. With the flexible connectivity options with DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 2.0, and USB 3.0 hub, your setup can be one giant gaming beast, a feast for the eyes and peace for the soul.
If you want to take full advantage of this monitor, you’ll need a top-notch GPU. And let me tell you, a GeForce graphics card is your best bet for your G-Sync to work seamlessly. With the optimal hardware, every game will run smoothly with the refresh rate synced to your framerate, whether that’s at 40 fps or 144 fps. Now, if you’re hitting maximum frame rates for competitive gaming, you might consider sticking to a 1080p resolution and display. Running at 1080p and low to medium settings just to reach 144 fps would mean money wasted on this monitor. But let’s not forget, this monitor is more than just for games this is a versatile display.
Sadly for an ASUS product, quality control is horrendous for this display. A huge problem for such an expensive monitor. In their defense, it is also cutting edge, and only the X27 has similar specs and suffers from identical problems!!
Overall, the ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ is a top-of-the-line 4K gaming monitor that offers an immersive and high-performance gaming experience.
2. Alienware AW3423DW – Best Gaming Monitor According To Reddit
- Screen size: 34”
- Aspect ratio: 21:9
- Resolution: 3440 x 1440 at 175Hz
- Brightness: 1,000 nits peak HDR
- Response time: 0.1ms
- Viewing angle: 178° H&V
- Contrast ratio: 1,000,000:1
- G-sync: Nvidia G-sync Ultimate
- Free-sync: AMD Free-sync
- Multiple connectivity options: HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB 3.0 ports.
- AlienFX lightening
Gamers looking for a large, immersive gaming monitor with high-performance features, a sleek design, and customizable lighting effects will find Alienware 34 AW3423DW a dream. Alienware OD-OLED is a 34-inch curved ultrawide display with a 1440p resolution and a 120Hz refresh rate.
The Alienware has a 34-inch curved panel with a 3440* 1440 resolution, and the Oled panel has HDR 400 true-black technology for deep colors and a peak brightness of 299.5 nits. It works flawlessly for both competitive and non-competitive games with its high 174 Hz refresh rate, NVIDIA g-sync, and free-sync.
The motion is an incredibly smooth pair that with near instantaneous 0.1 millisecond response time from gray to gray and it has non-existent input lag.
Moreover, the AlienFX lighting and Alienware’s signature design add to its overall appeal for gamers. Quality assured.
But the pros come with a few cons.
- The display is not that good when you play with too many light sources around you. Now, for choosing true-black-technology that’s bound to happen.
- I’ve also noticed that when you get over 60 FPS playing games the monitor faces some input lag.
- It also has limited capability with the consoles so, if you use your monitor for both your pc and various consoles you might get disappointed by the Alienware.
The Alienware OLED is the best overall gaming monitor boasting a perfect blend of design, performance, and affordability. Its 175Hz refresh rate, low input lag, and fast response time provide a seamless gaming experience while the vibrant OLED panel offers a stunning visual experience. This monitor is the ultimate choice for gamers and enthusiasts that want to have the edge without breaking the bank.
3. Dell S2721DGF – Best Budget Gaming Monitor
- Resolution display: 27-inch QHD (2560×1440)
- Refresh rate: 165Hz
- Response time: 1ms (gray to gray)
- Panel type: IPS Panel
- Free sync: AMD Free Sync Premium technology
- Aspect Ratio: 16:09
- Ergonomics: Adjustable height, tilt, and swivel
- Screen Coating: Anti-glare with 3H hardness
- Dimensions (WxDxH) – with stand: 24.08 in x 7.89 in x 20.63 in
- Multiple connectivity options: HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB 3.0 ports
- AlienFX lighting
The Dell S2721DGF gaming monitor is for those who don’t want anything too fancy from their panel. If you are looking for a gaming monitor without the bells and whistles of curved, ultrawide, or astronomically wide, Dell S2721DGF is for you.
With a 27-inch QHD with a red hot resolution of 2560×1440, 165Hz without overclock, and 1ms response time Dell S2721DGF brings a premium gaming experience at the lowest cost.
And that’s not all Dell S2721DGF brings the best HDR, anti-glare tech with 3H hardness and color gamut so that you can conquer your vivid gaming experience.
To boot, the Game Mode on Dell S2721DGF is absolutely fantastic! It is like having a personal gaming assistant. Enhancing visibility, reducing motion blur, and improving image quality. It also has a Low Input Lag mode reducing any delay and giving you a direct pipeline to your game. And the best part? You can tailor it to your needs. It is a must-have for serious gamers.
On top of that, Its Alienfx lighting effects match the user preferences and gaming setup.
Dell has AMD free-sync premium technology and Nvidia’s G-sync brings the best of both worlds.
Dell SDR contrast is a bit lackluster, with no dynamic contrast option available in SDR mode. SDR black levels are a bit higher than most IPS panels, and because of that, the image isn’t as deep and three-dimensional as monitors like the Asus ROG Strix.
Moreover, the IPS panel may produce some color shifting when viewed from off-center angles.
- Calibrate the monitor: Calibrating the monitor can help to improve color accuracy and overall image quality. You can use the built-in color calibration tool in the OSD menu or use a colorimeter tool to achieve a more accurate calibration.
- Use the monitor in the native resolution: The Dell S2721DGF has a 1440p resolution, so it is best to use the monitor in its native resolution for the best image quality.
Overall, in the crowded mid-range gaming monitor market, the Dell S2721DGF stands out with its extensive feature set and good picture quality. If this is your first foray into a true gaming monitor, it will not disappoint.
4. Gigabyte G32QC 32 – Best 4K Monitor
- Panel Size (diagonal) :31.5″ VA 1500R
- Refresh Rate :165Hz
- Display Viewing Area (HxV) :697.34 x 392.26 (mm)
- Panel Backlight/ Type :Edge type
- Display Surface(non-glare/ glare) :Non-glare
- True Resolution :2560 x 1440 (QHD)
- Response Time :1ms (MPRT)
- Brightness :350 cd/m2 (TYP)
- Contrast Ratio :3000:1
- HDR :VESA Display HDR400
- Flicker-free :Yes
- Connectivity :HDMI 2.0 x2,Display port 1.2 x1 (capable for HDR)
If you believe gigabyte’s growth in the display market is only to entice brand enthusiasts, you are wrong. Gigabyte is winning the competition. In fact, most Gigabyte monitors have excellent gaming performance, rapid refresh rates, superb motion handling, and a gamer-centric design, as one would expect from a company known for gaming components.
Gigabyte G32QC 32 makes up for a lavish screen real estate of a beautiful 32-inch big 1500R curve. This is a 16:9 aspect ratio, so not an ultrawide but a fairly decent one. This isn’t as curved as Samsung Odyssey, but it’s still way more curved than most monitors. It has 124% of the sRGB color space, glaring color accuracy. A lot of VA panels hit that, but the brightness is a glaring 350 nits, which isn’t normal for the size of this monitor. Now obviously, this is a 1440p panel, mind bending for gaming. 4K will cost well over a thousand dollars. Undoubtedly, that’s already out of the price range. This only cost 350$. Crazy, right? If you have a decent GPU, 1440p will hit a seamless refresh rate. Gigabyte G32QC 32 has a 165Hz refresh rate and 1ms response, bright VESA Display HDR400, and a killer Contrast Ratio of 3000:1. You’re getting the free sync premium pro which is the best free sync quality in the market. Yes, you don’t get g-sync on this which can be a little disappointing for all the NVIDIA fans out there. No Ultra Low Motion Blur and G-Sync variable refresh rate.
(A Reddit review on Gigabyte G32QC 32)
It has unique gaming Features:
- Aim Stabilizer : This feature will reduce motion blur so you will have better visual clarity that helps trace the track of the bullet and aim the target easily.
- Alignment :The display alignment function will facilitate you on the multi-display set-up, monitors will line up perfectly.
- Crosshair :This feature will allow you to customise crosshairs that help improve your aim in the shooting game.
- Counter :This feature will allow gamers to track the number of times an enemy or in-game item has spawned.
- Black Equalizer : This feature allows you to have more details of the dark side without overexposing the bright side at the same time.
- Timer Onscreen will assist you in tracking the elapsed game time.
One con is that the response time lags a lot with ghosting and smearing.
In conclusion, the gaming monitors of 2023 offer a wide range of features and specifications to cater to the diverse needs of gamers.
The Asus Rog Swift PG27UQ is a top-of-the-line 4K gaming monitor that offers a fast refresh rate of 144Hz and can be overclocked to 160Hz. It supports Display HDR 1000 and has a flexible ergonomic stand and multiple connectivity options.
The Alienware AW3423DW is considered the best overall gaming monitor, with its 34-inch curved ultrawide display, 1440p resolution, and 120Hz refresh rate. It has built-in speakers and a customizable lighting feature that allows users to have sound without needing external speakers.
The Dell S2721DGF is a 1440p resolution display, 1.07 billion colors gamut display for a true gaming experience at the lowest cost possible.
The Gigabyte G32QC 32 is a 32-inch QHD gaming monitor that offers an immersive gaming experience with its curved design and unique gaming features.
It is recommended to check the product specification and compatibility with your setup before purchasing. All of these gaming monitors are top-quality options for serious gamers and enthusiasts who want to have the edge without breaking the bank.
Last update on 2023-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API