TLDR: If you’re in a hurry the NEW Alienware M15 Gaming Laptop is considered to be one of the Best Gaming Laptop in 2024 according to reddit!
- BEAUTIFUL SCREEN: The Alienware m15 R7 gaming laptop is designed with a 15.6 inch QHD 240hz display providing for a clear gaming experience
- POWERFUL INTEL CPUs: Experience high-performance action across all your favorite games with 12th Gen Intel Core i7 processors
- STUNNING VISUALS: Built with powerful discrete graphics, the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti graphics card ensures clear gameplay during the most intense battles
Few things give you more pleasure than playing games. Now, there are multiple ways of playing games, but nothing gets close to the Games you play on your pc. But in order to be able to play these high-quality games, you need to have a pretty powerful gaming rig because these games are very hardware demanding. And when it comes to playing these games, almost everyone would prefer playing them on their desktop setup. This is because desktop computers are much powerful, have better thermals and cooling management, and are much more affordable. Moreover you can customize almost everything about it since you have your option of assembling it from scratch.
Now, while all this may sound very convenient and better, it isn’t ideal for everyone. This is because desktops, no matter how powerful they are, aren’t portable at all. Maybe you are someone who is always on the move, or you stay in a dorm or somewhere where you can’t have a desktop, or maybe the idea of portability is more intriguing to you. For whatever reason, you don’t want to have a desktop but still wanna play games? What do you do? Well, gaming laptops to the rescue. These laptops are very portable ( compared to a desktop ) and have also started getting powerful processors as well as high-end GPUs. But which gaming laptop do you choose since there are so many options available out there? Well, we will be taking the help of the front page of the internet for this. We will be looking over various subreddits for posts related to gaming laptops and will come up with a list of laptops that gets recommended the most. In other words, we will be finding out the best gaming laptops according to Reddit.
Top Priorities While Looking for a Gaming Laptop
Gaming laptops aren’t like normal laptops. There are a few specific things that are required for a laptop to be able to run all those high demanding games. Like a power GPU, Processor, RAM, faster storage, etc. So while choosing a gaming laptop, one should keep these in mind. Let’s see what they are.
- GPU: When it comes to playing high-quality graphics games, nothing plays a role more important than the GPU. The quality of graphics of a game depends on the GPU and it’s one of the few things that cannot be upgraded. It’s more than fair that this should be your top priority while looking for a gaming laptop. Both NVIDIA and AMD have manufactured their GPUs but most high-end gaming laptops come with an NVIDIA card. AMD is good but it isn’t up to the mark yet. Well, at least for now. However, they have been getting better. The previous year launched 5500M and the upcoming RX 5600M and RX 5700M releases for laptops show a sign of improvement. The NVIDIA GPUs series that are more common in gaming laptops belong to the GeForce GTX or RXT line of GPUs.
As you may already know, the kind of gaming performance you are trying to attain is directly proportional to your budget. The more you spend, the better performance you will get. However, this doesn’t mean that you have to spend loads of cash on a gaming laptop. You can still play games on a relatively cheaper laptop, though with a few caveats. So, if you are someone with a tight budget, then entry-level gaming laptops are your best bet. These are the laptops that come in around the 1000$ price point. The GPUs these laptops come with are either NVIDIA GTX 1650 or the slightly more powerful GTX 1660 Ti. These GPUs will let you stretch to maximum quality but will result in the frames dropping. So, you are better off playing at Medium to High settings. Games that have been launched a few years back can be easily played at the highest quality.
If you can stretch your budget to about 1500$ then you get a much better gaming performance. Gaming laptops at this price range will come with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 2060 GPU. This GPU is capable of running most games at the maximum setting and the framerates are also great. However, there are a few aspects where these GPUs lack like they are just the bare minimum for Virtual Reality and don’t have the capability of gaming in 4K resolution.
And then there are the high-end gaming GPUs which normally are available in gaming laptops that have cost around 2000$ and even up to 3000$. The GPUs you will get in this budget are the high-end RTX GPUs, like the RTX 2070, RTX 2080, or RTX 2080 Ti. These are the most powerful GPUs available currently. With these you can stretch your laptop to do anything. From 4K gaming at Max settings to super immersive Virtual Reality experience, you get all these and much more. Not to forget the Ray Tracing. You get your every penny’s worth. You will be able to get next-level gaming performance with these GPUs. So, if you have the money to spend, then just go for them.
- CPU: The other important non-upgradeable component of your laptop is the CPU processor. If you are buying a laptop just for gaming, then you might be able to make do with an average processor, like the Intel i5 processor. This is because games depend a lot more on the GPU than they do on the CPU. However, if you are planning to do some other heavy processing task, then investing in a more powerful processor makes sense. In that case you can either go for an i7 processor or even the latest i9 processors if your budget allows you. Whatever you choose, make sure it is the 9th gen variant. This will make your laptop future proof, as you won’t be able to upgrade the CPU later on. So consider all your options before you pull the plug on a CPU.
- RAM: Most games with high-quality graphics are often very memory intensive and require a lot of RAM. Since this is something you can upgrade the RAM later on, you can get a laptop with minimum RAM if your budget is limited. The minimum amount of RAM a laptop should have is 8 GB but I recommend you opt for 16 RAM since your primary purpose. However you should know that not all laptops come with additional RAM slots and in some you might void the warranty if you try to upgrade the RAM on your own. But I don’t think gaming laptops come under these. But still, keep this in mind if you plan to upgrade your RAM later on.
- Display: If there’s one thing that can come close to playing a high graphics game on a gaming laptop, then it is the ability to view and enjoy the high-quality graphics. Because trust me, the games these days are a sight to behold. I know it might sound like a cliche, but I can’t help how I feel. Okay so what should you consider in a display while choosing a gaming laptop? There are a few things actually. First thing first, the display size. Most gaming laptops have either a 15 inch or a 17-inch screen and some even go up to 18 inches. The bigger the screen, the better the game will look. However it also means the laptop will be heavier. So go for a 15-inch display if you want some portability otherwise go for the 17 or 18-inch display.
The other important thing while looking for a display is its screen resolution. Most gaming laptops come with a 1080p screen while a more powerful laptop will come with a 1440p display. Both of these are pretty great but if you want to go even higher than you can go for a 4k display. However, this would mean sacrificing on a few things, like slightly lower performance on less powerful GPU or lower refresh rates. Having features such as Nvidia G-Sync or AMD FreeSync is a bonus. But you should try to avoid touch screen displays because they tend to drain the battery fast and aren’t that necessary especially if you plan to do a lot of gaming.
Talking about the refresh rate, this is another thing you should keep in mind. While the 60hz refresh rate is enough for most, you should try and get a 120hz or even 144hz panel. A higher refresh will mean that you will get faster frame rates, given that you have a powerful and capable GPU, and as a result have some advantage over your opponent. Few manufacturers also offer 240hz panels but they are even more expensive and require a high-end GPU.
- Storage: It is obvious that you will need some storage to store all the games you own. But it isn’t that straightforward. There are two types of storage options available: HDD and SSD. The traditional HDD is what you will find in almost every computer, and has a slower read and write speeds. SSDs on the other hand have a lot faster read-write speeds. But that doesn’t mean that you should ditch the HDD and use an SSD. While this is doable, it will cost you a lot. So the ideal solution would be to use a combo of both. Use the SSD as a boot drive and also store your more frequently played games depending on available space. This will give you a faster loading time. For other storage, purposes use the HDD. Another solution is to use hybrid storage which is a hybrid of both SSD and HDD.
- Speakers: Games are also known for their great soundtracks. These beautiful soundtracks take your gaming experience to another level and make the game more engaging and fun. So, it’s important to have a good speaker with decent sound quality so that you can enjoy the games to their fullest. You can use an external speaker if you require, but I would prefer not to have to carry a speaker along with me all the time.
- Keyboard: This is something most gamers overlook. Mostly because they already have a good gaming keyboard. But then again, these keyboards are that portable or travel friendly. And the laptop is a gaming laptop that should come with a good keyboard. So now the question is, What makes a good keyboard? Well there are a few factors. A good gaming laptop keyboard should come with features such as anti-ghosting which means that on clicking several keys they all will register at the same time. This is great for combos moves. They should also have good key travel, which means how far a key can be pressed down, and actuation i.e the force you need to press down a key. The other important feature would be backlighting (RGB preferred) which can be customized to match your color profile. So while choosing for a gaming laptop, make sure its key has the above features.
This much knowledge is more than enough for you to choose a decent gaming laptop. Now, let’s move onto the interesting part of the article where we will see which gaming laptops Redditors are recommending the most.
Best Gaming Laptop Reddit 2024
1. Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701 – Best Gaming Laptop According To Reddit
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-9750H 2.6 GHz / i7-8750H 2.2 GHz
- RAM: 32 GB DDR4 2666MHz SDRAM
- GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX™ GTX 2070 / 2080 Max-Q Design
- Storage: 2TB NVMe SSD
- Size & Res: 43.94cm(17.3-inch) Full HD (1920×1080) up to 300Hz, 3ms
- Weight: 5.95 pounds
What Redditors Said about it
- u/cryptic-fox: “It’s been my main machine ever since I got it. I use it for everything— gaming, Netflix, word processing. I haven’t used my MacBook Pro since I got the Zephyrus. The only thing I don’t like about it is the battery kind of depletes fast when gaming but that’s the case with all gaming laptops. Other than that it’s the best laptop I’ve purchased so far “
- u/Arb1t3rx: ” I was in the exact situation but I went with the gx701 because of it’s cooling and performance in games (which I mainly do) the keyboard at first was a bit weird but I got used to it fairly quickly and since gx701 has 90 watt variant of rtx 2080 max-q instead of 80 watt present in Alienware M17 zephyrus seemed like a better choice to me “
- u/AkH0331: “I love my gx701. I got the 240hz one with the RTX 2080 Max q. I enjoy the trackpad being on the side; often, I find myself using my gift razer laptop and my fingers go to the right as if it was my Zephyrus. “
Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701 is one of the, if not the best gaming laptop available right now. It comes with a “super-narrow-bezel” 43.94cm(17.3-inch) display. The chassis is also just 18.7mm thin. It gives you a powerful gaming performance and is loaded with up to a GeForce GTX™ 2080 GPU and 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 CPU. The display panel can go up to 300Hz/3ms and comes with Pantone®-validated colors. It is also equipped with the ROG-exclusive GPU switch that helps you switch between G-SYNC™ mode for gaming and the Optimus mode which gives better battery life. So, if you are looking for a gaming laptop, you can’t go wrong with it.
2. Razer Blade Pro 17
- Processor: 2.3GHz 8-core Intel i7-10875H processor
- RAM: 16GB of Dual-Channel DDR4
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2070 Max-Q / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2080 Super Max-Q
- Storage: 512GB / 1TB PCIe NVMe upgradeable to 2TB SSD
- Size & Res: 17.3-inch Full HD (1920×1080) 300Hz / 3840 x 2160 120Hz
- Weight: 2.84 lbs
What Redditors Said about it
- u/LordEnigma: I just bought the Razer Blade Pro 17 for 1799 (there was a quick sale on the 2nd), and I’ve been pretty happy with it so far. the 1060 and 7700 perform great.
- u/itsnotmelan : “I have used the gtx 1080 version for some time, but like all the other 17” laptops, it was heavy, loud, and hot. It wasn’t portable at all. Still way better than Alienware 17 though, that thing is something else. If you need some portability, go for blade 15”.
The Razer Blade Pro 17 is a powerful gaming laptop that is capable of “DESKTOP-QUALITY GAMING”. It comes with the powerful 10th gen Intel® Core™ i7-10875H processor and the latest NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ SUPER Max-Q graphics card. It has a sleek and compact build and comes with a 17.3” display that is either an FHD or UHD panel and can go up to 200hz. refresh rate. The 8-core processor has a base clock speed of 2.3GHz and 5.1GHz Turbo Boost which make it capable of playing AAA titles with max performance. The NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ SUPER Max-Q graphics along with the power of ray tracing technology and AI, give you a gaming experience that not only performs great but also looks very good.
3. Alienware m15
- Processor: Up to 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-10980HK
- RAM: Up to 32GB DDR4 2666MHz
- GPU: Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 – Max Performance
- Storage: Up to 4TB (2x 2TB PCIe M.2 SSD) RAID0 [Boot] + 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD [Storage]
- Size & Res: 17.3-in FHD (1920 x 1080) 300Hz 3ms
- Weight: 5.51 lbs
What Redditors Said about it
- u/guysfw22: “I’ve owned a 15” R3 for a year now. So I purchased my Alienware 15 R3 last December and thus far I’ve been really happy with it. My laptop has a 4 k monitor an intel i7-6700HQ and 8 GB of ram “
- u/ReadyAndChilling: “Copy/pasted Alienware opinion: I own the Alienware 15 r3 980m, 4k version of that laptop. If your friend has the money to burn, then yes, he should buy one. It’s a very well-engineered machine. It has quirks. It’s heavy. It’s the Ferrari of laptops. It’s expensive as hell. “
The Alienware M15 R3 is an elegant looking gaming laptop that comes with top-notch gaming performance. It comes with up to 10th gen Intel Core i9K processors. It enables up to 8-cores and 16-threads of multi-threaded performance. , the new Alienware m15 goes beyond its predecessor. The Alienware M15 R3 is equipped with a 144Hz 9ms FHD display that has 72% color gamut and 300-nits of brightness. Even with its compact and lightweight build M15 has a 17.3″ screen display that can go up to 300hz refresh rate. Along with the powerful processor, you get the industry-leading NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 2080 Super GPUs that come with a 4mm CPU inductor. It also has what is called the Advanced Alienware Cryo-Tech. This engineering approach makes sure that the “Alienware system’s gaming performance is never compromised by means of electrical and mechanical methods while maintaining system stability during the highest performance states.” You also get improved thermals and airflow. So, you get an unparalleled gaming performance.
4. MSI GS66 Stealth
- Processor: Up to 10th Gen. Intel® Core™ i9 Processor
- RAM: Up to 64GB DDR4-3200
- GPU: Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 2080 SUPER™ With Max-Q Design, 8GB GDDR6
- Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
- Size & Res: 15.6″ Up to UHD (3840×2160) with up to 300Hz
- Weight: 7.7 lbs
What Redditors Said about it
- u/-naturemind-: “That’s awesome. I bought a custom build from XoticPC with custom cooling paste and thermal pads to help with the heat. So excited. Got it fully kitted out too. i9 / 2080 / 1 TB and a 2 TB drive / 300Hz screen / 64GB RAM. “
- u/l33tshietlord: “After a few hours of use-Solid build quality;Keyboard is a little bit low on travel, compared to GE 63 model but this doesn’t bother me much;Fan noise during gaming feels loud but not that pitchy kind of loudness. Idling at 2000~ RPM which can be quite noticeable in a dead silent room. ;The CPU is hot, even on “Balanced” or “Silent ” scenarios.. reaching 75 C while doing normal Window tasks. In game, it can reach about 85 C. Keyboard is not too hot to touch though;Display are fasttt and bright”
The MSI GS66 Stealth is a great gaming laptop that is very robust and is also portable. It comes with up to 10th Gen. Intel® CoreTM i9 processor with a higher single-core frequency that provides up to 5.3 GHz. The GS66 Stealth is equipped with the NVIDIA® GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER™ graphics and is very capable of hardcore gaming. It also has the Cooler Boost Trinity with 0.1 mm thin blades that maximize airflow and keep the laptop cool. The laptop also has a very fast display with up to 300hz refresh rate and 4k resolution. This makes it the perfect laptop for all your gaming needs.
5. Acer Predator Triton 500
- Processor: Up to Intel® Core™ i7-10750H processor Hexa-core 2.60 GHz
- RAM: 32 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
- GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 2080 SUPER with 8 GB dedicated memory
- Storage: 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD
- Size & Res: 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
- Weight: 4.41 lbs
What Redditors Said about it
- u/mom_dropped_me : “Triton 500 performs better, is smaller and has better battery life. The triton 500 is a portable high end gaming laptop, the Helios is a budget laptop. The triton is a better computer but is more expensive.”
- u/kavski : “Picked up this exact model myself last week. I’m impressed with how far we have come in terms of thin chassis, performance and thermals. I undervolted my CPU by -154 and it seems to be performing well. I just think it entirely depends on what type of game you are playing, how old it is and how CPU intensive it is. “
The Acer Predator Triton 500 is a thin and light yet very powerful gaming laptop. It comes with a 300Hz panel with a 1ms overdrive response time and NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Technology. This gives you “clear, crisp high-octane gameplay.” The Triton 500 is equipped with up to 10th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7 Mobile Processor that can be clocked up to 5.1GHz3 Turbo and has up to 8 cores and 16 threads. It also comes with the GeForce® GTX 2080 SUPER Max-Q and has up to 32GB of DDR4 2933MHz RAM and PCIe NVMe storage. It has multiple ports such as HDMI 2.0, Mini DisplayPort (MDP), or USB-CTM ThunderboltTM 3 which allows you to connect a few additional displays and get the best gaming experience.
6. Eluktronics Max 17
No products found.
No products found.
No products found.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-10875H
- RAM: 32 GB RAM
- GPU: Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 2080 SUPER Max-Q
- Storage: Up to 8TB
- Size & Res: 17.3″ 240Hz / 144Hz Full HD (1920 x 1080)
- Weight: 4.71 lbs
What Redditors Said about it
- u/rcarnes911 : “I have a eluktronics mech 17 it’s a beast 8750h with a 2070, every game is on ultra, the only problem I have had is the panel backlight went out I called them up they emailed me a ups label before I was off the phone I just sent it off today so we will see how the repair goes. I had less than 30 days left on the warranty lol
- u/Canterbro : “Eluktronics Max-17 is going to be the most value for your money. It also will come with a higher TDP CPU and GPU and still have good thermals. Bob of all trades on youtube has an in-depth review on the Max-17 on YouTube. “
As stated in their website “The MAX-17 is the lightest 17.3″ gaming laptop in the world & weighs just 4.71 pounds with a durable magnesium alloy chassis from top to bottom.” Despite its slim form, it packs a great power. It comes with the GeForce® GTX 2080 SUPER Max-Q graphics card and up to 10th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7 Mobile Processor which gives it great performance. The display on the laptop is a Full HD display and can go up to 240Hz. It comes with impressive thermal design & improvements in thanks to the EluktroBoost technology which results in “maximum power at every level.”
7. ASUS ROG Strix Scar III
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-9880H
- RAM: Up to 32GB DDR4 2666MHz SDRAM
- GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX™ 2070 with 8GB GDDR6 VRAM
- Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIE 3.0 512GB/1TB SSD
- Size & Res: 39.62cm(15.6-inch) Full HD (1920×1080) up to 240Hz, 3ms, 100% sRGB
- Weight: 5.66lbs
What Redditors Said about it
- u/zmaniacgamerz : “I recently got a hero edition though which is literally the same with the 2070 and the i7. The display is gorgeous, and It can run most games at 100-144fps on turbo fan mode. “
- u/vi cr7 bhav : “I just bought scar 3 two days ago. I have RTX2060. I have gamed on it for quite some time and I don’t find any thermal issues. When i play games on turbo mode fans get Louder and it pumps out a lot of heat but the laptop itself doesn’t get heat up. I can game on it even keeping it on my lap without any problem. I am loving this one “
The ROG Strix SCAR III laptop comes with a powerful processor lineup that goes up to Intel® Core™ i9-9880H. It also comes with the NVIDIA® GeForce GTX™ 2070 with 8GB GDDR6 VRAM that gives you excellent gaming performance. It is bolstered by ROG Boost which gives up to 1540MHz at 115W in Turbo mode. This results in super-smooth gameplay. The SCAR III is equipped with up to 240Hz/3ms laptop display which is the world’s fastest display. Its 3D Flow Zone technology gives it a great cooling advantage which in turn boosts the performance. It lets you “Jump into multiplayer matches anywhere with stronger RangeBoost Wi-Fi, show off your personality with the wraparound Aura Sync light bar, and gain privacy for personal data with the new ROG Keystone.” Add to this the great keyboard with translucent WASD keys, Fast-Actuating Keys, customizable backlighting, great side-firing speakers, multiple I/O ports, and you get yourself a great gaming laptop.
Best Gaming Laptop Reddit Verdict
If you are planning to do some high-end gaming then be prepared to shell out a lot of money as most gaming laptops are very expensive. Even the Entry-level gaming laptops have a price point of 1000$+. Depending on the type of gaming you want to achieve, you can choose from the different options. While choosing a laptop, make sure you prioritize the GPU, CPU, and Display. Other specs such as RAM and Keyboard should also be considered. If you are confused, depending on your budget, you can choose any of the above laptops that have been recommended by Redditors. No matter which one you choose, you will get good gaming experience.
- Alienware thinnest notebook ever for gamers looking for a thin gaming notebook that does not sacrifice performance or design
- Premium build high-end materials like magnesium alloy copper and steel provide a premium lightweight and performance-driven gaming experience
- Advanced thermal technology Alienware cryo-tech V3 0 optimizes component cooling which maximizes overall performance and keeps your laptop cool to the touch
Last update on 2024-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API